Now accepting applications for readings taking place between April 1 and September 30, 2018.
Deadline: February 15, 2018.
Funding is distributed on a first come, first served basis per province. We often receive more applications than we are able to approve, so we recommend getting in your applications as soon as possible! We recommend submitting by email to email@example.com, but also accept applications by fax or post. Please review our guidelines below before submitting an application.
PROGRAM INFORMATION & GUIDELINES
Download the CPT Reading Funding Application (PDF).
- Host must contact poet to confirm availability and request permission to apply for funding on the poet’s behalf, prior to submitting application.
- Application Form and Administrative Fee payment must be submitted by the host.
- Submissions may be made via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 416-504-0096, or by mail. All submissions must include payment for the administrative fees (cheque or credit card). Applications will not be considered unless accompanied by payment of administrative fee. Administrative fees will be processed for approved readings only, and are non-refundable.
- Administrative fees per reading: $25.00 per FULL (solo, 30 minutes or more), $15.00 per HALF (joint, 15 – 30 minutes). Cheques payable to League of Canadian Poets.
- All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application in writing either by mail or email.
- Payments of honoraria and travel expenses are made by the League directly to poets after the reading.
- Funding for cancelled readings may not be held by a host and is not transferable. Funding will be redistributed by the League to pending applications.
- This program cannot fund readings for which honoraria and/or travel costs are funded by another Canada Council program.
- Please allow 2 – 3 weeks for processing after the close of the posted deadline.
- Please print clearly. Incomplete/illegible applications will not be considered for funding.
- Readings are distributed on a first come, first served basis with equalized allotment among all provinces and territories.
Download the CPT Reading Funding Application (PDF).
- Poet must be a full member of the League in good standing.
- POET LIMIT: five (5) full readings per two (2) fiscal years.
- HOST LIMIT: four (4) full readings per one (1) fiscal year.
- Readings may take place anywhere within Canada. Eligible venues include (but are not limited to): Public libraries, bookstores, museums, festivals, community centers, and post-secondary institutions.
- Non-eligible venues/hosts: Elementary and secondary schools, Conferences, workshops, roundtable discussions, fundraising events, publishers.
- Past track record of host will be considered.
To search our online directory for active League members please visit LCP Member Directory.
READING FEES & TRAVEL EXPENSE REIMBURSEMENT
FULL READING (solo, 30 minutes or more) – $250 reading honorarium, up to $300 travel expenses.
HALF READING (joint, under 30 minutes) – $125 reading honorarium, up to $150 travel expenses.
- In order to receive reimbursement for travel expenses original travel receipts and/or mileage must be provided. Mileage reimbursement for drivers is calculated based on the length of a round trip at a rate of $0.42 per km and does not require receipts. Travel claims containing mileage may not include claims for gas.
- Travel expenses without original proof of purchase will not be honoured.
- Accommodation and per diems (cost of meals) are not eligible for funding through CPT. Ensure to make arrangements prior to the event.
Hosts and Poets must use logos of both the League of Canadian Poets and Canada Council for the Arts on ALL promotional materials. Click here to download applicable logos.
BOOK TOUR RESERVATION:
Members with newly published books can request to reserve funding for up to three (3) full readings between April 1, 2018 and March 31, 2019. The request must be made by the member poet by December 15, 2017 for books being published in 2018. Members must be in good standing.
Reserved readings are limited and are distributed on a first come first serve basis. Unused reserved readings cannot be carried forward to the following year. Book Tour Funding may not be reserved for two consecutive years. Any unused book tour funding will be redistributed to other members.
To claim reserved readings, host(s) must submit a CPT Reading Funding Application 3-4 weeks in advance of the reading. Funding applications for reserved readings must be submitted by December 31.
SPECIAL TRAVEL FUNDING
Special circumstances will be considered on a case by case basis and must comply with all requirements and definitions.
For travel to and from remote, Northern and small communities, a host organization may request up to double the travel maximums when it organizes a minimum of three (3) full readings or six (6) joint readings for the same writer. It must also provide a written statement with information about the event for which funding is being requested.
For writers who travel to and from official language minority communities, a host organization may request an additional twenty (20) percent of the total cost of a reading to help offset additional travel costs or supplement honoraria.
Special travel funding even when all requirements are met is guaranteed only when confirmed in writing by League office.
Remote, Northern and small communities: Writers and host organizations from remote communities are those who live in settlements with 1,000 or less population, with a population density of 400 or less inhabitants per square kilometer. For this program, remote Northern communities are those above the 54th line of parallel and in Labrador.
Small communities are those that have no more than 100,000 inhabitants.
Official Language Minority Communities: Writers and host organizations of official language minority communities are groups of people that share a common language, English or French, distinct from the linguistic majority of the province or territory in which they live. (Section 41 of the Official Languages Act).