LCP WELCOMES NEW EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

The League of Canadian Poets (LCP) is pleased to announce the appointment of new Executive Director, Lesley Fletcher. Lesley is thrilled to rejoin the League of Canadian Poets, where she previously worked as an Administrative and Communications Coordinator from September 2012 ‒ January 2014. She is a literature-obsessed graduate of … [click for more]

HITTING THE ROAD: QUEBEC

Here, our virtual road trip also becomes physically impossible, as we soar through all of Ontario in just 24 hours and carry on into Quebec. Magic! With just 0.5 french-speaking staff at the League office, we are unfortunately not the most up-to-date with literary goings-on in Quebec, and many of … [click for more]

HITTING THE ROAD: ONTARIO

We’re out of the prairies and into Ontario on our road trip today, and there’s an impossible amount of amazing literary initiatives in our home province! We can’t possibly go into all of them, so as usual, we recommend checking out your local library or college/university creative writing courses if you’re … [click for more]

MICHELINE MAYLOR NAMED CALGARY POET LAUREATE

>>Local poet will serve as an artistic ambassador for Calgary from 2016 – 2018 (Calgary AB) – Calgary Arts Development and the Calgary Poet Laureate Selection Committee are pleased to announce the appointment of Micheline Maylor as the 2016 – 2018 Calgary Poet Laureate. The position was formally announced in … [click for more]

HITTING THE ROAD: MANITOBA

We head back south on our virtual road trip (we picked up a dog along the way) into Manitoba to explore the last of the prairies’ literary goings-on. As ever, our list is woefully incomplete, and centered mainly in Winnipeg. If you run or know of a literary press, reading … [click for more]

HITTING THE ROAD: NORTHWEST TERRITORIES & NUNAVUT

Today we drive north from Saskatchewan into the Northwest Territories and Nunavut! Although we have a confession to make: we were woefully under-prepared for this segment of the road trip. Almost certainly, we have barely scratched the surface of what these two territories have to offer. If you know of … [click for more]

MEET THE SHORTLIST: RAOUL FERNANDES & ARMAND GARNET RUFFO

For the fifth installation of our 2016 “Meet the Shortlist” blog series, we meet Raoul Fernandes, whose book Transmitter and Receiver was shortlisted for the Gerald Lampert Memorial Award, and Armand Garnet Ruffo, whose book The Thunderbird Poems was shortlisted for the Raymond Souster Award. Throughout National Poetry Month, we’re excited to introduce you to … [click for more]

HITTING THE ROAD: SASKATCHEWAN

Today on our virtual road trip we continue into the prairies, through endless skies and existential-dread-inducing amounts of beautiful expansive space. (A note from the author: I recently took a bus trip from Toronto to Whitehorse, and it was my first time in the prairies as an adult. I expected … [click for more]

THE TRAVELLING TEAM

As a special feature for National Poetry Month, we sat down with some members of the 2015 Toronto Poetry Slam team to find out about how travelling–and travelling as a team–affects the creative process and psyche. The TPS team is determined each year by several months of competitions culminating in … [click for more]

HITTING THE ROAD: ALBERTA

We continue our virtual road trip today, cruising through BC into the Rockies–what’s up, Alberta? There are tons of festivals and literary goings-on here at the edge of the prairies, and as usual we will barely be scratching the surface of what they have to offer. We recommend checking out … [click for more]

MEET THE SHORTLIST: MELISSA BULL & BEN LADOUCEUR

For the fourth installation of our 2016 “Meet the Shortlist” blog series, we meet Melissa Bull and Ben Ladouceur, whose books Rue and Otter, respectively, were shortlisted for the Gerald Lampert Memorial Award! Throughout National Poetry Month, we’re excited to introduce you to all the poets shortlisted for our book awards: the women … [click for more]

HITTING THE ROAD: BRITISH COLUMBIA

After spending some time in Canada’s beautiful north, we’re driving south today to explore the literary offerings of beautiful British Columbia. BC is home to a wealth of poetry publishers, magazines, and reading series, and we will barely even be scratching the surface of the creative nooks of the province … [click for more]

MEET THE SHORTLIST: MARILYN DUMONT & ALICE MAJOR

For the fourth installation of our 2016 “Meet the Shortlist” blog series, we meet Marilyn Dumont and Alice Major, whose books The Pemmican Eaters and Standard Candles, respectively, were shortlisted for the Raymond Souster Award. Throughout National Poetry Month, we’re excited to introduce you to all the poets shortlisted for our book awards: the women shortlisted for … [click for more]

READYING FOR THE ROAD

notes to self before departure  — by Alessandra Naccarato   Remember the first time you did this: Five years back, in thunderstruck winter, Montreal. It seemed like anything would be better than another month of unaffordable hydro, windows covered in frost, nights spent at Snack & Blues just trying to … [click for more]

MEET THE SHORTLIST: RACHEL ROSE & DEREK WEBSTER

For the third installation of our 2016 “Meet the Shortlist” blog series, we meet Rachel Rose, whose book Marry & Burn was shortlisted for the Pat Lowther Memorial Award, and Derek Webster, whose book Mockingbird was shortlisted for the Gerald Lampert Memorial Award! Throughout National Poetry Month, we’re excited to introduce you to all the poets … [click for more]

MEET THE SHORTLIST: ADEBE DeRANGO-ADEM & BRUCE MEYER

For the second installation of our 2016 “Meet the Shortlist” blog series, we meet Adebe DeRango-Adem, whose book Terra Incognita was shortlisted for the Pat Lowther Memorial Award, and Bruce Meyer, whose book The Arrow of Time was shortlisted for the Raymond Souster Award! Throughout National Poetry Month, we’re excited to introduce you to all the … [click for more]

HITTING THE ROAD: THE YUKON

This National Poetry Month, we’re taking a virtual road trip across this beautiful country to explore some great reading series, festivals, magazines, and publishers in each province. If you’d like to throw your poetry-related project into the mix, e-mail admin@poets.ca with a brief description of your project, including a website … [click for more]

MEET THE SHORTLIST: LORNA CROZIER & MAUREEN HYNES

Welcome to the first installation of our 2016 “Meet the Shortlist” blog series! Throughout National Poetry Month, we’re excited to introduce you to all the poets shortlisted for our book awards: the women shortlisted for our Pat Lowther Memorial Award, the new poets shortlisted for the Gerald Lampert Memorial Award, … [click for more]

2016 BOOK AWARDS: SHORTLISTS

We are thrilled to announce the 2016 Poetry Awards shortlists for the Gerald Lampert and Pat Lowther Memorial Awards, the Raymond Souster Award and, together with the Calgary Spoken Word Society, the 2016 recipient of the prestigious Sheri-D Wilson Golden Beret Award. The winners of these awards will be announced on Saturday, June 18 … [click for more]

WELCOME TO NATIONAL POETRY MONTH 2016

DOWNLOADABLE GRAPHICS | NPM16 EVENTS | FRANCAIS We’re so excited to celebrate poetry with you this month! Here on the blog, we’ll have guest posts on poetry and travel from JC Bouchard and Alessandra Naccarato, as well as a virtual road trip across Canada with posts highlighting reading series and … [click for more]

CELEBRATING POEM IN YOUR POCKET DAY ACROSS NORTH AMERICA

The League of Canadian Poets and the Academy of American Poets Team Up to Celebrate Poem In Your Pocket Day Across North America As a special collaboration for this year’s National Poetry Month in April, the leading membership-based poetry organizations that sponsor the month in Canada and the United States—the … [click for more]

REBECCA THOMAS NAMED NEW HALIFAX POET LAUREATE

>> From the Halifax Poet Laureate website. Rebecca Thomas will become the Halifax Regional Municipality’s sixth Poet Laureate. The municipality’s Poet Laureate serves as an ambassador and advocate for literacy, literature and the arts, and reflects the vitality of our community through appearances and readings of poetry at a number … [click for more]

CELEBRATING UNESCO WORLD POETRY DAY

“By paying tribute to the men and women whose only instrument is free speech, who imagine and act, UNESCO recognizes in poetry its value as a symbol of the human spirit’s creativity. By giving form and words to that which has none – such as the unfathomable beauty that surrounds … [click for more]

CAPTIVATING THE IMAGINATION

by Renée Sarojini Saklikar — Dear Poets of the League, This first day of March and outside my office window, intimation of blossom, a set of cherry trees, the park below. Yes, it’s raining, again, in torrents—and I’m inside working on volume two of thecanadaproject, a long poem, The Heart of … [click for more]

THE WRITING PARENT – DANCING IN THE DUALITY

Guest post from League member Vanessa Shields I know there are many of us who are writers and parents. This is a wild duality to live. My intention with this column, “The Writing Parent,” is to write about the challenges of being a parent and a writer. I aim to … [click for more]

Become a #PoetryCity | Devenez une #VillePoésie

Calgary’s Mayor Nenshi has officially issued the challenge: Mayors across Canada can now take up the #PoetryCity challenge by inviting a poet to read during a council meeting in March or April. Last year, over 70 communities participated in the challenge. This year, we hope for even more! Find out … [click for more]

National Poetry Month 2016

Planning for National Poetry Month is now well underway here at the League, and we’re excited to be preparing all of our visual promotional materials! Our theme this year is THE ROAD, and we can’t wait to see what journeys and adventures you’re all planning for this April. Established in … [click for more]

To share in the writing—

by Renée Sarojini Saklikar — Dear Poets of the League, At month’s end, the new year, and it is raining— I’m writing to you this afternoon having attended an ekphrasis workshop last evening at the Surrey Art Gallery. Alongside students from Kwantlen Polytechnic University and their teachers, award winning authors Jen … [click for more]

Le mois national de la poésie 2016

AVRIL 2016 — LE CHEMIN Le chemin te mènera n’importe où. C’est le moment de célébrer les chemins que nous voyageons, les chemins que nous souhaitons voyager, les chemins que nous avons découverts et créés et chéris depuis des décennies. Cette année, le Mois national de la poésie … [click for more]

To travel the city, listening—

This is the second post in an ongoing series from guest writer Renée Sarojini Saklikar, Surrey’s first Poet Laureate. Find the first, “Being Laureate,” here. *** Friday night, November 28, 2015: I’m on a Skytrain heading eastbound, Saturday night coming on fast: at Surrey City Centre, instead of my usual … [click for more]

2016 Défi de la poésie | #VillePoésie

Pour ne pas alourdir le texte, nous nous conformons à la règle qui permet d’utiliser le masculin avec la valeur de neutre. — Vous pouvez télécharger le communiqué de presse pour le Défi de la poésie du maire 2016 ici. Ce printemps, faites de votre ville une #VillePoésie en participant … [click for more]

John B. Lee. The Full Measure (Black Moss Press 2015).

Reviewed by Anna Yin   In John B. Lee’s The Full Measure, the last line “Remembering more, imagining less” of the opening poem “Today I am remembering” kept repeating in my head. The whole book recounts stories about John’s childhood and his family. His sadness and helplessness toward his aged … [click for more]

REVIEW: MARLENE DIETRICH’S EYES | BY ISABELLA COLALILLO-KATZ

Ekstasis Editions | October 2014 | 128 pages | $23.95 | Purchase online Review by Josie Di-Sciascio-Andrews — A child’s wide eyed beauty transforms into a woman’s gaze brimming with wonder. Innocence and artistic sensibility, tempered by life and the myriad waves of experience, chisel away at the superfluous skin of … [click for more]

Picture This (Poetry)!

It’s difficult to pinpoint when most of my favourite poets entered my awareness. For many of them – Anne Compton, Anne Michaels, Rainer Maria Rilke, Michael Ondaatje, Hafiz, it is almost as if they have always been there. Like background music, they have set the timbre of my life’s landscape … [click for more]

Micropress Mondays: Words(on)Pages

Welcome to our new reoccurring feature – Micropress Mondays. Have you read Russell Smith’s most recent article exploring the future of publishing in Canada? We all know that small, local presses are some of the greatest places to explore unique work. However, Smith suggests that their role in our Canadian market is about to … [click for more]

(No) Failure to Thrive

There is a certain kind of magic to hearing the announcement of a friend’s name on an award shortlist – a moment where suddenly you feel that truly anything is possible. Sometimes, this magic even takes place right here in our own office! The talented and extremely bright Suzannah Showler was shortlisted … [click for more]

An interview with the Academy of American Poets

In poetry circles , recovering from National Poetry Month is akin to the recuperation period that takes place after a Thanksgiving sized meal. We are full and happy and there are plenty of leftovers to indulge in. Today, we are enjoying some of that post-NPM goodness by featuring an interview … [click for more]

Susan Paddon Writes Two Tragedies in 429 Breaths

As we approach Mother’s Day, I am struck by the myriad of ways to celebrate, honor and remember mothers and mothering. Motherhood is not without complexity and neither is the loss of one’s mother to death, illness or estrangement. Today’s featured poet, Susan Paddon takes on the task of writing about such … [click for more]

Food, Fishing & Farming Free Range Poetry Buffet

As National Poetry Month has gone on, spring has sprung across a lot of our beautiful country (sorry NB, I saw posts from your snowfall this morning – that’s not okay). And with spring comes the season of planting and plenty of other farming work! Thankfully, we have poets … [click for more]

Honey, Hives, and Poetry in the City

Today on the blog, I am featuring a post from perhaps one of the most personable poets I have ever met.  Renée Sarojini Saklikar is joining us to tell us a little bit about a very sweet National Poetry Month event happening in just a few days.  I’ll let her fill … [click for more]

Laisha Rosnau’s Pluck

There are poets in whose writing you see yourself. I first encountered Laisha Rosnau’s work while studying creative writing in university. She wasn’t well known enough to be on a course syllabus yet, so instead I found her poetry sitting on the nightstand of a close friend. I flipped the small book open, … [click for more]

Baconspiracy

What would happen if we were to combine the pure awesomeness of bacon with the pure awesomeness of poetry?  Toronto spoken word poet Bassam serves up a taste of his own “Baconspiracy” Bassam is a two-time member of the Burlington Slam Project, and Canadian Festival of Spoken Word semifinalist in 2013. … [click for more]

Jude Neale on Unexpected Joy

Happy Shortlist Monday! Today we will be chatting with Jude Neale, the author of A Quiet Coming of Light (New Leaf Press). It is shortlisted for The Pat Lowther Memorial Award which is given for a book of poetry by a Canadian woman published in the preceding year, and is in memory of the … [click for more]

Poetry & Pie: Together Forever

Even if Hazel Millar wasn’t our fabulous publicist for #npm15 and also one of the sweetest people I have met in the literary world… even then, I couldn’t imagine not including the HIJ reading series on our blog. The series combines poetry with one of my favourite foods ever – … [click for more]

Jenn Currin takes us to School

I said shortlist poets would be featured on Mondays – I did, but here I am on a Tuesday with a lingering chocolate hangover from the weekend’s festivities and a delayed post.  With the brilliant Jenn Currin as our guest interview today, I think you will agree that both she … [click for more]

A Month of Edibles

What is on the blog menu this month, you ask? Mondays will feature interviews with many of the poets shortlisted for the Pat Lowther and Gerald Lowther Memorial Awards, as well as the Raymond Souster Award.  The interviews are much like our shortlist poets – thought provoking, smart and pleasantly full of … [click for more]

This year’s Golden Beret Winner is Penn Kemp!

Happy National Poetry Month! What better way is there to start off than by announcing a poetry prize? Together with the Calgary Spoken Word Society, we are thrilled to announce the 2015 recipient of the prestigious Sheri-D Wilson Golden Beret Award Penn Kemp! I am delighted to welcome Penn as the first guest … [click for more]

Cotton Candy Frenzy

April 2015: Food & Poetry

Hello lovers of poetry, Barbara here again with another edition of our League of Canadian Poets National Poetry Month Blog! This year we are celebrating National Poetry Month with food and as you can imagine, I am over the moon with excitement about the theme. Food takes up a … [click for more]

From West to East and The Story in Between

by: Andre Prefontaine Calgary culture is regarded as two things: Mayor Nenshi and the Calgary Stampede. That’s it. From a Calgarian’s stand-point, it is seen as three things: Mayor Nenshi, beef-on-a-bun stains caused by the Calgary Stampede and a pedestrian bridge that looks like a Siamese finger-trap. It’s a wonderful place…if you … [click for more]

A Travelling Poet

by Bänoo Zan Leaving Iran, the land I have always loved more than any god or human, was not easy. What made it even harder was that Iran is a poetic land. But I was brave enough to be a coward, leave my years there behind and plunge into “the … [click for more]

Michael Dennis Reviews Our Shortlist Poetry Books

Have you run into Michael Dennis on the internet yet? You must. His poetry blog is honest, personal and a wild ride through Canada’s poetic landscape. When I asked him about himself, Michael pointed me towards an interview where Stuart Ross affectionately calls him an extremely well read poet … [click for more]

An Interview with rob mclennan

We are so very pleased to announce that rob mclennan will be doing a special Poet to Poet feature on his wildly popular blog, in which he will be interviewing all of our award shortlisted authors. But more on that below! If you do not already know him, please meet … [click for more]

Festivals Forever

National Poetry Month, if anything, is a time of poetry festivals! How could we not choose the theme “Poetry City” with so many cities hosting so many poetry festivals. Today, we invite you to join us in Calgary, where one Sheri-D Wilson founded the Calgary Spoken Word Festival, which has … [click for more]

Poetry NOW at Harbourfront!

We begin our journey with National Poetry Month right here in Toronto where the League’s office is located with the announcement of tomorrow’s Battle of the Bards! This International Festival of Authors event began in 2009 and returns again this year to feature readings by 20 of Canada’s upcoming and … [click for more]

Welcome to the National Poetry Month Blog!

Hello! Welcome to our National Poetry Month blog. We are so delighted to have you here. My name is Barbara Erochina and I am the Communications Coordinator here at The League, which means I get the privilege of curating this blog. We hope this place will become an opportunity for … [click for more]

Coming soon!

April is National Poetry Month and we at the League of Canadian Poets are thrilled to announce that we are going to be hosting a unique blog covering events, stories, poetic initiatives and all things Poetry City for #NPM14!  The countdown to our launch on April 1st is on!

THE FEMINIST CAUCUS – SELECTED MEDIA

Imprints and Casualties: poets on women and language, reinventing memory, Vol. 2 (Broken Jaw Press, 2000) “A worthwhile project. It presents the papers, letters, thoughts and poems without comment, letting readers draw their own discussions and conclusions.” — New Hope International Review (UK) PRAISE FOR Imprints and Casualties Anne Burke … [click for more]

INSPIRING WRITING THAT MAKES YOU STAND UP AND CHEER

By Dawna Proudman Reading strong poems, full of metaphor, imagery and feeling, will automatically trigger deep responses and inspire stronger writing. I read Maya Angelou’s “Caged Bird” to a grade two class in downtown Toronto. After class, a boy waited patiently to speak with me. He spoke so softly I … [click for more]