Celebrate National Poetry Month by hosting an event! The League is excited each year to be able to provide limited funding directly to poets participating in NPM-themed events. For information about this year’s National Poetry Month theme and more, visit poets.ca.npm.
This program accepts applications annually between January 15 and February 15.
National Poetry Month funding is available to full members in good standing and to non-members who meet the League’s full membership eligibility criteria. Hosts can apply for funding for events planned anywhere in Canada during the month of April. To find more about National Poetry Month, including deadlines and the application form, visit poets.ca/npm.
Funded by the Canada Council for the Arts and the Department of Canadian Heritage.
Completed applications should be e-mailed (recommended), mailed, or faxed to the League office according to the instructions on the application form.
APPLICATIONS AND ELIGIBILITY
- Applications must come directly from a host
- Hosts may not include themselves as a poet on the application
- Hosts may apply for funding for up to three (3) poets
- Poets may be League members, or non-members who are professional poets
- Poets and date details should be confirmed prior to submitting an application
- Events should be themed for National Poetry Month
- Events must be free and open to the public
- Publishers may not apply to receive funding through this program
Applications are approved on a first come, first served basis per province so we recommend applying early and via e-mail!
- This program provides a $125 honorarium directly to poets following the event
- This program does not provide any travel reimbursement or allowance
CONDITIONS AND PROCEDURES
- Hosts and poets will be notified via email once their application for funding has been processed
- Payments from the League are made directly to the poet following the visit, upon receipt of their finalized paperwork
- Funding for cancelled readings may not be held by a host and is not transferable
- Funded readings must acknowledge the support of and use logos for the League, the Canada Council for the Arts, and the Department of Canadian Heritage on all promotional materials.
- Poets are limited to one (1) NPM-funded reading per year
- Hosts are limited to three (3) NPM-funded readings per year
As our NPM funding is limited, we encourage hosts to also look at the League’s other funding programs if they are eligible:
- Canada Poetry Tours funds readings across Canada for full League members, and provides modest travel reimbursement; there is a small fee for hosts to apply — applications will open on January 15
- Readings in Public Places funds readings in Toronto for full League members; there is no fee to apply — watch poets.ca/funding or poets.ca/ripp for details on when applications will open