Applications are approved on a first come, first served basis until all funding has been disbursed.
PROGRAM INFORMATION & GUIDELINES
Through the Readings in Public Places program the League funds poets’ reading fees for eligible readings in Toronto. The program is funded by the Toronto Arts Council.
- The reading honorarium through this program is $100.
- Travel and other expenses will not be reimbursed.
- Funding for cancelled readings is not transferable.
- Funding is limited and readings are distributed based on a first come, first served basis.
- Poets must be members of the League of Canadian Poets in good standing with the League for a minimum of two (2) consecutive years. Membership Dues must be paid in full for current and previous fiscal year (does not apply to members in their first year of membership.)
- POET: Limit of four (4) readings per year.
- HOST: Limit of four (4) readings per year.
- VENUE: Venue must be located in Toronto. Eligible venues include (but are not limited to): public libraries, bookstores, museums, festivals, community centers, and post-secondary institutions.
- Non-eligible hosts/venues: elementary and secondary schools, conferences, workshops, roundtable discussions, fundraising events.
- Application must be submitted by the host, not the poet. Be sure to contact the poet in advance to confirm availability and request permission to apply for funding on their behalf.
- Submissions may be made via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 416-504-0096, or by mail. Please do not submit duplicates or submit using multiple methods.
- Please print clearly. Incomplete or illegible applications will not be considered for funding.
- Applications must be received at least 4 weeks before the date of the readings. Please allow 2 – 3 weeks for processing.
- Hosts and poets will be notified of the outcome of the application either by mail or e-mail.
- Approved poets will receive confirmation in the form of a fillable invoice, which is to be returned to the League after the reading.
Hosts and poets must use logos of both the League of Canadian Poets and Toronto Arts Council on ALL promotional materials. Click here to download applicable logos.
OTHER FUNDING PROGRAMS
For readings outside of Toronto, check out our Canada Poetry Tours program. For readings in Ontario elementary/secondary schools, please visit our Poets in the Schools program page. For non-League administered funding programs in other provinces and territories, click here.