Click here to submit a Readings in Public Places application.
Are you a Toronto reading series or event host looking to bring a poet to your event? We may be able to help provide them an honorarium! All Full League members are eligible to receive funding through our Readings in Public Places program, funded by the Toronto Arts Council, which helps support readings happening in Toronto.
League members: want to receive funding for a Toronto event you have planned? Be sure to tell your host to apply through Readings in Public Places! There is no fee to apply, and applications must be submitted to the League directly.
- Applications must be submitted by the host at least 3 weeks in advance of the reading date.
- Events must take place in Toronto.
- The host must have confirmed the date and time with the poet prior to submitting an application
- The poet must be a full member of the League. Search our directory at poets.ca/directory.
If you require a paper application, please contact email@example.com.
Through the Readings in Public Places program the League funds poets’ reading fees for eligible readings in Toronto. The program is funded by the Toronto Arts Council.
- The reading honorarium through this program is $100.
- Travel and other expenses will not be reimbursed.
- Funding for cancelled readings is not transferable.
- Funding is limited and readings are distributed based on a first come, first served basis.
ELIGIBILITY AND LIMITS
- Poets must be full members of the League of Canadian Poets
- Poets may receive funding for up to 4 readings per year
- Hosts may receive funding for up to 4 poets/readings per year
- Publishers are not eligible to apply for funding
- Venue must be located in Toronto. Eligible venues include (but are not limited to): public libraries, bookstores, museums, festivals, community centers, and post-secondary institutions.
- Non-eligible hosts/venues: elementary and secondary schools, conferences, workshops, roundtable discussions, fundraising events.
If you are a host or a poet with questions about eligibility, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-504-1657.
CONDITIONS AND PROCEDURES
- Hosts and poets will be notified via email once their application for funding has been processed
- Payments from the League are made directly to the poet following the visit, upon receipt of their finalized paperwork
- Funding for cancelled readings may not be held by a host and is not transferable
- Funded readings must acknowledge the support of and use logos for the League and the Toronto Arts Council on all promotional materials.
OTHER FUNDING PROGRAMS
For readings outside of Toronto, check out our Canada Poetry Tours program. For readings in Ontario elementary/secondary schools, please visit our Poets in the Schools program page. For non-League administered funding programs in other provinces and territories, click here.