“I’ve been making a list of the things they don’t teach you at school. They don’t teach you how to love somebody. They don’t teach you how to be famous. They don’t teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don’t teach you how to walk away from someone you don’t love any longer. They don’t teach you how to know what’s going on in someone else’s mind. They don’t teach you what to say to someone who’s dying. They don’t teach you anything worth knowing.”
Browse our Teacher’s Lounge posts for workshop ideas, teaching links, and other resources. If you are a teacher looking to bring a poet into your school, visit our Poets in the Schools page (for schools in Ontario) or check out our roundup of writers in the schools programs across Canada. We are always looking for new content to add to our Teacher’s Lounge! If you would like to contribute, please contact email@example.com.
- Poetry in Voice, a Canadian nationwide poetry recitation competition for schools.
- The Poetry Society’s resources for teachers, including lesson plans that incorporate award-winning poetry by young poets.
- The Young Poets Network, an online platform for young poets up to the age of 25 with articles, challenges, prompts, advice, and more.
- Page Fright, where four contemporary spoken word poets re-examine and perform page poems that have inspired them.
- Classroom-friendly poems, a roundup of spoken word videos from Button Poetry
- 2018 JESSAMY STURSBERG POETRY PRIZE
- POETRY AND ACTIVITIES FOR EDUCATORS AND YOUNG READERS
- POETRY TO GET THROUGH HIGH SCHOOL
- HOSTING A POETRY READING
- TEACHING FORM POETRY
- A TEACHER’S READING LIST