NEW: The League of Canadian Poet Local In-Person Events Funding Program
Update: As of June 2, 2022, the funds for this program have been fully allocated and applications have been closed.
December 8, 2021: The League of Canadian Poets is thrilled to announce a new funding opportunity for poets, made possible by the Canada Council for the Arts. This funding will be provided to support poets who are participating in and/or hosting local, in-person events that take place between January 1, 2022 and June 30, 2022. This funding will be made available alongside our continued funding for digital poetry events.
This funding will provide an honorarium of $250 to each poet participating in events with an approved application
- Events must take place between January 1, 2022 and June 30, 2022
- This funding is for live events only
- Each funded event must feature a minimum of 2 poets who are local to the event location. Hosts can receive funding for up to 6 poets for an event
- Each event must adhere to local COVID-19 restrictions
- Each event must have a plan for audience development
- Organizers and participants are required to submit a short post-event report to receive funding
- Poets are eligible to receive a maximum of $1,250 from this fund
- Funding for this program is available to member and non-member poets, but at least one League member must be a participant in the event
- Please note that funding for this event is non-transferable, due to large demand on the League’s funding programs
Priorities for this Funding
Funding will be awarded to ensure National representation and access and a range of diverse poetry opportunities. Priority will be given to:
- Events that take place in an accessible venue
- Events featuring diverse poets from marginalized communities
- Events that are done in partnership with small businesses, independent bookstores, important local venues
- Events that intend to launch or “re-launch” poetry books released during the pandemic
- Events where poetry books will be made available for sale
- Can be a venue, organizer or poet
- Poets may apply for event funding provided it fits guidelines above
As all events in this program must be local to any participating League member, a very minimal travel stipend will be provided where required (eg. for transit, or limited mileage).
Special Associate Membership Offer
Non-members who qualify for this funding will be offered a free year of Associate Membership in the League. This membership will begin as your event is approved and will continue to March 31, 2023. Participating poets do not need to take any initial steps to access this offer. League staff will be in touch with a short application to begin membership.
Applications will be processed on a rolling deadline and assessed on a first-come, first served basis.
Participants in this program will be asked to report on:
- Number of participating poets
- Number of audience members
- Number of books sold
- Poetry titles promoted, publisher of title