Poetry in Union 2022 – A Poetry Experience for Valentine’s Day
Poetry in Union Experience
February 5–14 2022
Timeslots available throughout Feb, click here
Cost: $20 per poem
Experience Time: 20 minutes
We have all experienced distance and disconnection in the past year. In February 2022, we invite you to join us for a special Valentine’s Day Poetry Experience, connecting hearts across the distance.
Spontaneous poetry writing can capture the feeling, image or essence of a special moment, event or conversation. We will connect you with a Canadian Poet who, after a brief conversation, will write a unique, personal, and beautiful spontaneous poem just for you. This unique experience is an uplifting way to celebrate Valentine’s Day, connecting us to an intimate moment when many of us are so far apart.
This is your opportunity to work with a professional poet to create a personalized poem in celebration of Valentine’s day, resiliency, a special anniversary, a beloved pet, or anything you are interested in.
Every poem will support the League of Canadian Poets in our ever-expanding outreach and support of diverse poetry projects across Canada, regional poet initiatives, readings, and events, mentorship with emerging poets and support of BIPOC and anti-oppression initiatives.
How it Works:
- Book your 20-minute slot
- If none of these times work for you, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with an ideal time, and we’ll do our best to accommodate you.
- You’ll receive a confirmation email with your timeslot and connection details
- On the day of your appointment, log in to ZOOM
- You’ll join us in our poetry writing room where you will be connected with a poet
- You’ll meet your poet for a brief conversation, in which the poet may ask a few questions
- When your poet has enough details to create a poem, they will get to work writing
- A few moments later, your poet will read the poem to you
- You’ll receive an image of your hand-written, custom poem via email the same day, signed by a Canadian poet
- Then, you can print, share, frame, or send your poem as you like!
This event is perfect if:
- You would like to commemorate a special event, moment, or time in your life
- You would like to create a unique portrait of your relationship or friendship in the form of a lasting poem
- You are looking for a unique Valentine’s Day Gift for someone else that is safe to send during the pandemic
- You are looking to connect with loved ones from afar
- You would like to have a beautiful personal poem written by a Canadian poet
- You would like to send the gift of connection and spontaneous poetry to a loved one or thank a front-line worker, neighbour, barista, checkout person or acquaintance for their support
Enjoy an imaginative Valentine’s Day experience that connects you with a poet, your own story and mirrors your words in the form of a meaningful personal poem – all while benefitting the League of Canadian Poets with your generous donation
How long does this experience last?: You will need to dedicate 20 minutes for this event, but will speak privately with your poet for about 10 minutes; the poet will then write a poem and read it aloud to you
Can more than one person participate in a timeslot?: Our poets can accommodate up to 2 people for the same poetry writing experience, but no more. Please note that all timeslots are in Eastern Standard Time. If you have questions about your spontaneous poetry writing experience, please email email@example.com
Can I book a specific poet?: Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to connect you with the poet of your choice. However, please let us know if you have a specific poet in mind, and will do our best to accommodate you.
Do I need to have a topic in mind?: Absolutely not! Our poets will prompt you with conversation, questions and insights to help you to form your thoughts and a poem
Can I work with a poet to create a gift for someone else?: Yes! A personal poem that comes from the heart is an excellent gift for a loved one.
Can I gift someone else a spontaneous poetry writing experience?: Yes! When you click to sign up for the event, you’ll have the option of sending it as a gift. If you have questions about this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Meet Our Poets
Proceeds from this Event
All proceeds from this event will be contributed to the League of Canadian Poets. Donations to the League help us grow and sustain our outreach programs (like Poetry Pause), create paid publication opportunities for poets (like the LCP Chapbook Series), support our awards in recognition of the incredible talents in Canadian poetry, and better connect and support our hundreds of poet members across Canada. Your donations to the League go directly towards furthering our goal of nurturing a professional poetic community in Canada.
Learn more about previous years’ Poetry In Union:
What is Poetry in Union?
At this event, a selection of Toronto’s strongest, most diverse and most talented poets will provide personalized poetry on request to reflect participants’ own experiences and stories. This is a unique opportunity to interact directly with an artist to create a romantic valentine’s gift, celebrate a friend, experience, or key moment.
Poetry in Union is the perfect way to add a touch of art, poetry, and romance to the daily lives of commuters and travelers in Toronto. In addition to original poetry, commuters will have access to free treats and hot chocolate, romantic gifts, spoken word poetry performances and live piano.
Check out past Poetry in Union events:
“You sit with a person in an intimate space, at a desk. Not across the desk, but together. And you just ask them questions. What’s on your mind? What’s on your heart? What do you think of when you think of train travel?” said Kate Marshall Flaherty, organizer of the 2019 event and participating poet.
This event is based on the success of The Poet is In – an annual project that takes place at Grand Central Station in New York. Find out more about The Poet is In.