The link to the application form for the Poets in the Schools program can be found at the bottom of this page.
About the program
The League of Canadian Poets administers a funding program that supports Ontario poets visiting Ontario schools. If you are a poet or educator outside of Ontario seeking funding for class visits, you may find information with the following organizations:
- Poet In Class (national)
- Alberta Foundation for the Arts
- Federation of BC Writers
- Arts Starts Program (BC)
- Manitoba Arts Council, Artists in the Schools Program
- Frye Festival, School-Youth Program (New Brunswick)
- Writers in the Schools Program (WiSP) managed by Writers’ Federation of New Brunswick (WFNB)
- Newfoundland and Labrador Arts Council, ArtSmarts
- Writers’ Federation of NS,
- PEI Writers’ Guild
- Quebec Writers’ Federation
- Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild
- Yukon Young Authors Conference
- Poets must be members of the League based in Ontario
- Find eligible poets interested in a class visit here!
- NEW: Qualified Associate members are eligible to receive funding through this program
- Schools must be based in Ontario
- Class visits 1-3 hours in length will receive a $250 honorarium
- Class visits longer than 3 hours will receive a $500 honorarium
- The honorarium is paid in full by the League, directly to the poet following the visit
- No meal and/or travel reimbursement is currently provided through this program
- If a poet is visiting a northern or remote school in person and is seeking travel reimbursement, please contact email@example.com to discuss.
- Ontario Full members may receive up to $2,000 from Poets in the Schools honoraria between April 1 and March 31
- No more than $2,000 may be disbursed for visits to one school; the office will be in touch with the poet and the school if an issue arises around this limit.
Apply for funding
For school visits planned April 1, 2023 to March 31, 2024.
There is no deadline for applications to this program, as requests are processed on a rolling basis. Applications should be submitted at least 3 weeks in advance of the scheduled visit.