We are currently accepting applications for visits taking place on or after April 1, 2018.
SPECIAL FUNDING OPPORTUNITY: To celebrate National Poetry Month, the League has a limited amount of funding available to further support schools bringing in poets in April and May — rather than splitting the cost of the poet’s honorarium, the Leauge is able to pay 100% of the poet’s fee for a limited number of readings in April and May, 2018. Schools are limited to 2 full (or 4 half) visits for this opportunity, and poets are limited to 1 full (or 2 half) visit. Please review all guidelines before submitting an application. Please note in the application that you are applying for this special opportunity.
Applications are approved on a first come, first served basis until all funding has been disbursed.
Thank you to all the schools who participate in Poets in the Schools! We appreciate all the teachers who go out of their way to advocate for poetry in the classroom. View a list of participating schools here.
This program, funded by the Ontario Arts Council, funds poets’ reading fees and expenses for eligible readings at Ontario secondary and elementary schools. For non-League administered funding programs in other provinces and territories, click here.
- Application must be submitted by the hosting school, not the poet. Be sure to contact the poet in advance to confirm their availability, reading fee rate and request permission to apply for funding on their behalf.
- Submissions may be made via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 416-504-0096, or by mail. Please do not submit duplicates or use more than one method of submitting.
- This program will fund half of the following honorarium variations: $300/Full day visit (4 x 45 minute sessions), $200/Half day visit (2 x 45 minute sessions). The League will also reimburse for full travel, accommodation, and meal expenses. Poets residing outside of Ontario are also welcome to participate in the poets in the school program if they will be visiting Ontario, but do need to be pre-approved to do so. Please contact email@example.com to discuss planning and reimbursement.
- Reading fees are to be shared equally by the League and the hosting school. School’s portion of the fee must be paid directly to the poet on the day of the visit as well as provide one meal per day.
- All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application in writing either by mail or email.
- Approved poet members will receive a fillable invoice to be returned to the League after the reading.
- Payments of League’s portion of the reading fee(s) and reimbursements of expenses are made by the League directly to poets, upon receipt of the Poet’s Claim Invoice and proof of expenses.
- Funding for cancelled readings may not be held by a host and is not transferable.
- Funded readings must acknowledge the support of and use logos for the League and the Ontario Arts Council on all promotional materials. Find logos on our logo page.
- Funding is limited and distributed on a first come, first served basis.
- Applications must be received at least 4 weeks before the date of the school visit. Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing.
- Please print clearly. Incomplete/illegible applications will not be considered for funding.
- Poets must be Full members of the League of Canadian Poets
- Membership Dues must be paid in full
- Poets are limited to ten (10) full day visits per fiscal year
- Hosts are limited to ten (10) full day visits per fiscal year
- Open to elementary/secondary schools in Ontario only.
The League will cover reasonable expenses incurred during the poet’s visit as follows:
Travel by car – Mileage is paid at 42¢/km. For travel greater than 100 kms poet may not claim mileage amount greater than the cheapest form of mass transit (bus, train, etc.) without prior approval from League office. Mileage calculations do not require receipts.
Travel by taxi – Poet may use a taxi to get to and from a school that is outside of poet’s hometown in a neighbouring municipality. The League will not cover taxi fare for trips within poet’s own hometown.
Travel by bus/train – Will be reimbursed for most reasonably priced fare available.
Travel by air – Airfare must be confirmed and approved by the League office prior to booking. The League will not cover cost of previously approved airfare if trip is changed or cancelled, except in cases of medical/personal emergency, with documentation provided.
Meals – Maximum per diems are $30.00 for full day and $18.00 for a half day with dated receipts.
Accommodation – The League will cover reasonable accommodation costs, not exceeding $90.00 per night.
Poets residing outside of Ontario are also welcome to participate in the poets in the school program if they will be visiting Ontario, but do need to be pre-approved to do so. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss planning and reimbursement.
THE LEAGUE WILL NOT REIMBURSE ANY EXPENSES FOR WHICH ORIGINAL RECEIPTS ARE NOT PROVIDED.
- The League will fund 100% of the poet’s fee ($300/full day, $200/half day) and reimburse expenses when the poet consecutively visits a minimum of three (3) schools within the same Northern region.
- Please indicate “Northern School” in the additional info section of the application form.
- Funding is allocated on a case by case basis.
- Email email@example.com or call 416-504-1657 to inquire.