CLICK HERE FOR A LIST OF MEMBERS OPEN TO VISITING YOUR SCHOOL
If the above link does not work, visit our Member Directory page and in our advanced search select “Poet in the Schools” to find an up-to-date list.
PROGRAM INFORMATION & GUIDELINES
Through the Poets in the Schools program the League funds poets’ reading fees and expenses for eligible readings at Ontario secondary and elementary schools. The program is funded by the Ontario Arts Council. For non-League administered funding programs in other provinces and territories, click here.
- Application must be submitted by the hosting school, not the poet. Be sure to contact the poet in advance to confirm their availability, reading fee rate and request permission to apply for funding on their behalf.
- Submissions may be made via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 416-504-0096; or by mail to 312 – 192 Spadina Avenue, Toronto ON M5T 2C2.
- Reading fees are to be shared equally by the League and the hosting school. School’s portion of the fee must be paid directly to the poet on the day of the visit as well as provide one meal per day.
- Though each poet establishes their own reading fee rate, standard rates at which the League will reimburse half are as follows:
- $300/Full day visit (4 x 45 minute sessions), $200/Half day visit (2 x 45 minute sessions), plus expenses.
- All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application in writing either by mail or email.
- Approved poet members will receive a fillable Poet’s Claim Invoice, which is to be returned to the League after the reading.
- Payments of League’s portion of the reading fee(s) and reimbursements of expenses are made by the League directly to poets, upon receipt of the Poet’s Claim Invoice and proof of expenses.
- Funding for cancelled readings may not be held by a host and is not transferable. Funding will be redistributed by the League to pending applications.
- Funded readings must acknowledge the support of and use logos for the League and the Ontario Arts Council on all promotional materials. Find logos on our logo page.
- Readings are distributed based on funding availability, first come first serve basis.
- Applications must be received at least 4 weeks before the date of the school visit.
- Applications are to be submitted by one method only (email, mail OR fax). Do not submit duplicates.
- Please allow 2 – 3 weeks for processing.
- Please print clearly. Incomplete/illegible applications will not be considered for funding.
Download the PITS Reading Funding Application (PDF).
- Poets must be Full members of the League of Canadian Poets in good standing with the League for a minimum of two (2) consecutive years (does not apply to members in their first year of membership).
- Membership Dues must be paid in full for current and previous fiscal year.
- Poets are limited to ten (10) full day visits per fiscal year.
- Hosts are limited to ten (10) full day visits per fiscal year.
- Open to elementary/secondary schools in Ontario only.
- For readings April 1, 2016 – March 31, 2017.
The League will cover reasonable expenses incurred during the poet’s visit as follows:
Travel by car – Mileage is paid at 55¢/km. For travel greater than 100 kms poet may not claim mileage amount greater than the cheapest form of mass transit (bus, train, etc.) without prior approval from League office. Mileage calculations do not require receipts.
Travel by taxi – Poet may use a taxi to get to and from a school that is outside of poet’s hometown in a neighbouring municipality. The League will not cover taxi fare for trips within poet’s own hometown.
Travel by bus/train – Will be reimbursed for most reasonably priced fare available.
Travel by air – Airfare must be confirmed and approved by the League office prior to booking. The League will not cover cost of previously approved airfare if trip is changed or cancelled, except in cases of medical/personal emergency, with documentation provided.
Meals – Maximum per diems are $30.00 for full day and $18.00 for a half day with dated receipts.
Accommodation – The League will cover reasonable accommodation costs, not exceeding $90.00 per night.
THE LEAGUE WILL NOT REIMBURSE ANY EXPENSES FOR WHICH ORIGINAL RECEIPTS ARE NOT PROVIDED!
SPECIAL FUNDING: NATIONAL YOUTH ARTS WEEK
- The League will fund 100% of the poet’s fee for eligible readings during
National Youth Arts Week (NYAW) taking place May 1 – 7, 2016.
- Limit of one (1) full or two (2) half NYAW visits per school per fiscal year. Other eligibility requirements apply same as above.
- NYAW readings will be counted towards poets’ PITS funding limits.
- Deadline to apply for special funding April 1, 2016 – 5:00 PM EST. – PROGRAM CLOSED
- The League will fund 100% of the poet’s fee ($300/full day, $200/half day) and reimburse expenses when the poet consecutively visits a minimum of three (3) schools within the same Northern region.
- Once pre-approved by the League submissions are to be made using regular PITS Application Form with a “Pre-approved Northern School” notation in the Additional Info section of the form.
- Funding is allocated on a case by case basis.
- Email email@example.com or call 416-504-1657 to inquire.