Each year, the League is pleased to present three book awards to poets at various stages in their career, as well as a spoken word lifetime achievement award and a young poets prize. Shortlists for the annual book awards are announced in April, and winners are announced in May. Scroll down to view past winners and shortlists on each award’s dedicated page, as well as contests administered by the League.
Submissions for books published in 2021 are now open!
Deadline is November 30, 2021.
- Gerald Lampert Memorial Award (for debut books of poetry)
- Pat Lowther Memorial Award (for books of poetry by women)
- Raymond Souster Award (for new poetry books by active League members)
Additional eligibility guidelines (for all awards):
- Authors must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents
- Submitted titles must have one author. Translators are not eligible as authors
- Titles must be at least 48 pages in length, excluding front and back material
- If a title is “selected” or “collected” work, it must contain at least 50% new material, measured in pages of text. This percentage must be identified with the submission.
- Chapbooks and self-published books are not eligible.
- Submissions are welcome in any language, but submissions in a language other than English must be accompanied by a translation (the original language text must have been published in 2020)
- Titles may be submitted by a publisher, author, or other nominator
- There is a $25.00 submission fee per title, per award that may be paid by credit card or cheque upon confirmation of receipt of the submission.
- Submissions must be received by November 30, 2021. If a book is set to be published between November 30, 2021, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an extension.
BOOK AWARD: GERALD LAMPERT MEMORIAL AWARD
for a debut book of poetry | $2,000 prize
BOOK AWARD: PAT LOWTHER MEMORIAL AWARD
for a book of poetry by a woman | $2,000 prize
BOOK AWARD: RAYMOND SOUSTER AWARD
for a book of poetry by a League member | $2,000 prize
SHERI-D WILSON GOLDEN BERET AWARD
for excellence and innovation in spoken word poetry| $2,000 prize
JESSAMY STURSBERG POETRY PRIZE
for Canadian youth
The 2021 Winner of the Very Small Verse Contest is “Sometimes” by Rae Crossman
The 2021 Winner of the Broadsheet Contest is “Beekeeping” by Kim Fahner
Past Winners and Lists: