Members of the League are professional poets who are actively contributing to the development, growth, and public profile of poetry in Canada. We offer two primary levels of membership, as well as student and supporting memberships, open to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
MEMBER DIRECTORY | MEMBER NEWS
JOIN THE LEAGUE
The League welcomes applications from Canadian print and spoken word poets at all stages in their careers! Check out our eligibility criteria to find out which level of membership might be right for you: full membership, for emerging and established poets; or associate membership, for new and emerging poets. Students pursuing creative writing at the university or college level are eligible to receive a student discount on the associate membership fee.
If you were a member of the League in the past and you would like to renew your membership, please complete our Membership Renewal form and email it to email@example.com or mail it to the League office. This form is NOT necessary if you are an active member of the League paying your annual membership fee.
For common questions about membership, visit our FAQ.
The League is also happy to offer a student membership ($30 annual membership fee) available to secondary school students, as well as a supporting membership for individuals interested in helping us support poets and poetry in Canada.
Membership with the League offers many benefits, from funding opportunities to cross-country networking and beyond.
- Promote your projects, news, and calls for submissions in our member forum
- Receive support promoting your news on the League’s website and social media channels
- Customize your online profile available publicly in the League member directory
- Connect with an international network of professional poets at various stages in their careers
- Receive discounts on League-administered projects and awards
- Receive funding through programs that support readings all across Canada, including some travel reimbursement (full members only)
- Attend the AGM to connect with other members, National Council, and office staff
- Sit on award juries, committees, and National Council
- Contribute interviews, articles, and other writing to the League website and member newsletter
- Review recent poetry collections, or share reviews of your own collection on the League website
- Stay up to date on poetry news and opportunities in Canada with a subscription to our informational members-only newsletter, ST@NZA
- Become eligible to open a benefits plan with the Writers’ Coalition
New members also receive:
- Pro-rated membership fee based on the month your membership is approved
- $40 discount in the first year of membership (full members only)
- One guaranteed half-reading ($125 value, plus some travel reimbursement) through the Canada Poetry Tours program (full members only)
FULL MEMBERSHIP ($185 annual membership fee)
for emerging and established poets | click here to apply for full membership
Eligibility criteria (print):
One book* of poetry (48 pages or longer), published by a literary or trade publisher,
One self-published book of poetry (48 pages of longer) professionally marketed and distributed, as determined by the membership committee,
Two chapbooks* which have been professionally marketed and distributed, as determined by the membership committee, and which—combined—equal a page count of at least 48 pages,
A total of at least 48 pages of poetry published in professional markets, as determined by the membership committee; this can be any combination of chapbooks, broadsheets, anthology contributions, and publication in literary magazines.
Poetry must be in French or English for the membership committee to review. If the published poems are in a language other than French or English, a substantial selection of poems in translation must be made available in English.
*Books and chapbooks being used for a membership application must either already be published, or must be forthcoming within 6 months of the application date.
Eligibility criteria (spoken word):
A full body of work that demonstrates professional commitment and proficiency in the field of spoken word, as determined by the membership committee.
A full body of work may include:
- a recorded studio album
- participation on a spoken word team, including touring and competing for at least two years
- three featured performance sets of at least 15 minutes each
- print materials, including chapbooks, anthology contributions, publication in literary magazines, etc.
- Commitment to the community through teaching and/or creating performance spaces for other artists is also considered
In your application, please outline in detail your performance history and involvement with the spoken word community. Please also include links to any audio tracks or videos that our membership committee can listen to or view online.
ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP ($70 annual membership fee)
for new and emerging poets | click here to apply for associate membership
Eligibility criteria (print and spoken word):
- Two or more poems published online or in print by publications with an independent editorial review process
- Demonstrated interest in continuing to write and publish or perform poetry
- Student discount (save $40 per year) available to associate members studying creative writing at the college or university level
READY TO APPLY? CLICK HERE.
If you do not wish to become a member at this time, but would still like to support the League and its programs, please consider making a donation. Visit our support page for more information.