The League of Canadian Poets provides funding to poets participating in events all across Canada, thanks to the support of the Canada Council for the Arts, the Department of Canadian Heritage, the Ontario Arts Council, and the Toronto Arts Council.
You’ll find the latest updates for all funding opportunities on this page; visit program-specific pages for more details about guidelines and applications.
UPDATED FEBRUARY 22, 2021
For events taking place after April 1, 2021: Applications now open
2021-2022 EVENT FUNDING
Now open: Poets in the Schools applications, National Poetry Month applications, Readings in Public Places applications, and Canada Poetry Tours applications. (One universal application form)
February 22 – March 15, 2021: Applications open for events taking place between April 1, 2021 and October 31, 2021.
- Full members of the League are eligible for all funding, with the exception of Poets in the Schools, which is only available for visits to Ontario classrooms (virtual or in-person)
- Poets may submit the application for funding for an event they are participating in, even if it is organized by a host, but the host will have to verify the event with staff. (Instructions will be included on the application page.)
- We will not be funding non-live digital events.
- We will not be funding in-person events between April 1, 2021, and October 31, 2021, with the exception of Poets in the Schools class visits
- $125 honorarium events:
- Poet reads for under 15 minutes
- $250 honorarium events:
- Poet reads for longer than 15 minutes, and/or
- Poet is the only featured speaker
Please note that we cannot fund the following:
- Events that are not open to the public (eg. closed University/College events, closed membership events); with the exception of Poets in the Schools events in Ontario public schools
- Applications submitted by publishers
- Events that do not feature a live poetry reading
- Non-live events (eg. prerecorded readings or events)
- Full members are eligible to receive up to $1,000 in honoraria from non-school events
- Full members with a book released since January 2020 may receive up to an additional $500
- Full members may receive up to $1,500 in honoraria from PITS events
- Associate members and non-members may receive up to TWO (2) $125 honoraria
- Additional details around benefits for Full members who have released a new book since January 2020
- Advanced funding for established festivals and series
Submit here or using the form below.
UPDATED FEBRUARY 22, 2021
For events taking place before March 31, 2021: closed
Online event funding–this program has been fully disbursed, and is accepting waitlist applications only. Visit https://poets.ca/resources/funding/online/ for more details.
Poets in the Schools–this program has been fully disbursed, and is not accepting applications
Prior to April 1, 2020, the League offered funding for poetry events through four distinct programs. Please note that while we are using only one application form now, we are thrilled to continue to disburse the same amount of event funding directly to poets during these difficult times, thanks to the support of the Canada Council for the Arts, the Department of Canadian Heritage, the Ontario Arts Council, and the Toronto Arts Council!
Here is a short review of major changes, which regular users of the program may find helpful:
- Application fees have been waived in order to support poets and hosts who are keeping poetry alive during these uncertain and challenging times
- Poets may now apply to receive their own honorarium, but the organizer will need to verify the event. (They will be contacted by League staff after the application has been submitted)
- There is one universal application form to apply for funding, rather than separate applications per program
Please review all additional details carefully before submitting your application!
If you are unsure about your event’s eligibility, we recommend submitting a detailed application so we can review it carefully and get back to you. You may submit queries to firstname.lastname@example.org, but please note that you can expect a response in 2-3 business days. The League staff are all currently working remotely, and are not available by phone. To book a phone appointment regarding funding queries, you can e-mail email@example.com.