The League of Canadian Poets provides funding to poets participating in events all across Canada, thanks to the support of the Canada Council for the Arts, the Department of Canadian Heritage, the Ontario Arts Council, and the Toronto Arts Council.
You’ll find the latest updates for all funding opportunities on this page.
Subscribe to receive funding updates via e-mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news about funding applications, including special application windows, directly to your e-mail, you can subscribe to our Between the Lines newsletter: eepurl.com/hhvQwT
Between the Lines contains information about League opportunities, general poetry news, and writing and publication calls for submissions, and is sent monthly. If you indicate that you would like funding news on the signup form, you will also receive additional e-mails 5-6 times per year with funding-specific updates!
UPDATED September 27, 2021
For upcoming general events: Applications closed. To be added to a waitlist, submit an application and select “waitlist” for the program. Poets with reserved readings may still submit applications for funding to use their reserved reading. Applications for events in April 2022 and beyond will open in January 2022.
For upcoming Poets in the Schools events: Open for applications for school visits happening before March 31, 2022. No travel funding available.
Fall 2021 and Winter 2022 travel update: The LCP is not providing travel funding for events taking place before April 2022.
Reading Series and Festivals Reservations: Applications closed. About this stream: Reading Series and literary festivals may be eligible to reserve up to $2,000 in honoraria for 8-16 unconfirmed readers. Honoraria can be disbursed in $125 (less than 10-minute reading) or $250 (solo, or greater than 15-minute reading) increments, and readers must be Full members of the League to receive the funding, but do not have to be confirmed at the time of reservation. Complete the event funding application below and select “CPT Reading Series” as the program choice. Please request to reserve only as much as you believe you will need. Applications for this stream are currently closed.
NEW: HOST DATABASE
In order to submit a funding application on behalf of an organization, a reading series, a school, a festival, or another official organizer (ie. not an individual), they will need to be in our new host database.
April 2021 – March 2022 EVENT FUNDING
General events: Applications closed. To be added to a waitlist, submit an application and select “waitlist” for the program. Poets with reserved readings may still submit applications for funding to use their reserved reading. Applications for events in April 2022 and beyond will open in January 2022.
Poets in the Schools events: Open for applications for school visits happening before March 31, 2022. No travel funding available.
- Full members of the League are eligible for all funding, with the exception of Poets in the Schools, which is only available for visits to Ontario classrooms (virtual or in-person)
- Poets may submit the application for funding for an event they are participating in, even if it is organized by a host, but the host will have to verify the event with staff by submitting a report after the event. (Instructions will be included on the application page.)
- We will not be funding non-live digital events. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if non-live events are the only format available to you and you are seeking funding.
- $125 honorarium events:
- Poet reads for under 15 minutes
- $250 honorarium events:
- Poet reads for longer than 15 minutes, and/or
- Poet is the only featured speaker
- Poets in the Schools events receive a $500 honorarium
Please note that we cannot fund the following:
- Events that are not open to the public (eg. closed University/College events, closed membership events); with the exception of Poets in the Schools events in Ontario public schools
- Applications submitted by publishers
- Events that do not feature a live poetry reading
- Non-live events (eg. prerecorded readings or events); please contact email@example.com if non-live events are the only format available to you and you are seeking funding.
Fall 2021 and Winter 2022 travel update: Since March 2020, the League has been using the full budget of our event funding streams to provide poets with honoraria. Moving into Fall 2021 and Winter 2022, we may see poets beginning to travel once again for events. We would like to support this where possible, and although our budget will prioritize honoraria through to March 31, 2022, there may be an option to provide limited travel cost reimbursements to poets. Please select “Travel reimbursement request” in the application form, and a member of the LCP staff will be in touch with you to discuss.
- Full members are eligible to receive up to $1,000 in honoraria from non-school events
- Full members with a book released since January 2020 may receive up to an additional $500
- Full members may receive up to $1,500 in honoraria from PITS events
- Non-school hosts may receive up to $1,000 in honoraria for their poets
- Readings series and festivals may be eligible for an exception (see below)
- The PITS program can disburse no more than $2,000 for visits to one school; the office will be in touch with the poet if an issue arises around this limit.
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Submit here or using the form below.
Prior to April 1, 2020, the League offered funding for poetry events through four distinct programs. Please note that while we are using only one application form now, we are thrilled to continue to disburse the same amount of event funding directly to poets during these difficult times, thanks to the support of the Canada Council for the Arts, the Department of Canadian Heritage, the Ontario Arts Council, and the Toronto Arts Council!
Here is a short review of major changes, which regular users of the program may find helpful:
- Application fees have been waived in order to support poets and hosts who are keeping poetry alive during these uncertain and challenging times
- Poets may now apply to receive their own honorarium, but the organizer will need to verify the event. (They will be contacted by League staff after the application has been submitted)
- There is one universal application form to apply for funding, rather than separate applications per program
Please review all additional details carefully before submitting your application!
If you are unsure about your event’s eligibility, we recommend submitting a detailed application so we can review it carefully and get back to you. You may submit queries to firstname.lastname@example.org, but please note that you can expect a response in 2-3 business days. The League staff are all currently working remotely, and are not available by phone. To book a phone appointment regarding funding queries, you can e-mail email@example.com.