The League of Canadian Poets provides funding to poets participating in events all across Canada, thanks to the support of the Canada Council for the Arts, the Department of Canadian Heritage, the Ontario Arts Council, and the Toronto Arts Council.
You’ll find the latest updates for all funding opportunities on this page.
UPDATED May 12, 2021
For upcoming general events: applications closed unless poet has a new member reserved reading.
Applications for general poetry events will open in July 2021, for readings taking place in September 2021 through to March 31, 2022.
For upcoming Poets in the Schools events: applications closed for 2020-2021 school year; will re-open for 2021-2022 school visits (September 2021 through March 2022) in August.
NEW: READING SERIES AND FESTIVAL RESERVATIONS
Reading Series and literary festivals may be eligible to reserve up to $2,000 in honoraria for 8-16 unconfirmed readers. Honoraria can be disbursed in $125 (less than 10-minute reading) or $250 (solo, or greater than 15-minute reading) increments, and readers must be Full members of the League to receive the funding, but do not have to be confirmed at the time of reservation. Complete the event funding application below and select “CPT Reading Series” as the program choice. Please request to reserve only as much as you believe you will need.
NEW: HOST DATABASE
In order to submit a funding application on behalf of an organization, a reading series, a school, a festival, or another official organizer (ie. not an individual), they will need to be in our new host database.
April 2021 – March 2022 EVENT FUNDING
General events: applications closed unless poet has a new member reserved reading.
Poets in the Schools events: applications closed for 2020-2021 school year; will re-open for 2021-2022 school visits (September 2021 through March 2022) in August.
The next application window will be open from July 5 to July 23, 2021, for events taking place between September 1, 2021 and March 31, 2022. Details will be posted on this page.
- Full members of the League are eligible for all funding, with the exception of Poets in the Schools, which is only available for visits to Ontario classrooms (virtual or in-person)
- Poets may submit the application for funding for an event they are participating in, even if it is organized by a host, but the host will have to verify the event with staff by submitting a report after the event. (Instructions will be included on the application page.)
- We will not be funding non-live digital events. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if non-live events are the only format available to you and you are seeking funding.
- $125 honorarium events:
- Poet reads for under 15 minutes
- $250 honorarium events:
- Poet reads for longer than 15 minutes, and/or
- Poet is the only featured speaker
- Poets in the Schools events receive a $500 honorarium
Please note that we cannot fund the following:
- Events that are not open to the public (eg. closed University/College events, closed membership events); with the exception of Poets in the Schools events in Ontario public schools
- Applications submitted by publishers
- Events that do not feature a live poetry reading
- Non-live events (eg. prerecorded readings or events); please contact email@example.com if non-live events are the only format available to you and you are seeking funding.
- Full members are eligible to receive up to $1,000 in honoraria from non-school events
- Full members with a book released since January 2020 may receive up to an additional $500
- Full members may receive up to $1,500 in honoraria from PITS events
- Non-school hosts may receive up to $1,000 in honoraria for their poets
- Readings series and festivals may be eligible for an exception (see below)
- The PITS program can disburse no more than $2,000 for visits to one school; the office will be in touch with the poet if an issue arises around this limit.
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Submit here or using the form below.
Prior to April 1, 2020, the League offered funding for poetry events through four distinct programs. Please note that while we are using only one application form now, we are thrilled to continue to disburse the same amount of event funding directly to poets during these difficult times, thanks to the support of the Canada Council for the Arts, the Department of Canadian Heritage, the Ontario Arts Council, and the Toronto Arts Council!
Here is a short review of major changes, which regular users of the program may find helpful:
- Application fees have been waived in order to support poets and hosts who are keeping poetry alive during these uncertain and challenging times
- Poets may now apply to receive their own honorarium, but the organizer will need to verify the event. (They will be contacted by League staff after the application has been submitted)
- There is one universal application form to apply for funding, rather than separate applications per program
Please review all additional details carefully before submitting your application!
If you are unsure about your event’s eligibility, we recommend submitting a detailed application so we can review it carefully and get back to you. You may submit queries to firstname.lastname@example.org, but please note that you can expect a response in 2-3 business days. The League staff are all currently working remotely, and are not available by phone. To book a phone appointment regarding funding queries, you can e-mail email@example.com.