for a book of poetry by a League member.
The Raymond Souster Award is given for a book of poetry by a League of Canadian Poets member. The award honours Raymond Souster, an early founder of the League of Canadian Poets. The award carries a $2,000 prize and it is presented each year at the LCP Annual Conference in June, with the shortlist announced in April.
2020 Book Awards
Submissions are closed.
- Gerald Lampert Memorial Award (for debut books of poetry)
- Pat Lowther Memorial Award (for books of poetry by women)
- Raymond Souster Award (for new poetry books by active League members)
Additional eligibility guidelines (for all awards):
- Authors must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents
- Titles must be published in 2019
- Submitted titles must have one author. Translators are not eligible as authors
- Titles must be at least 48 pages in length, excluding front and back material
- If a title is “selected” or “collected” work, it must contain at least 50% new material, measured in pages of text. This percentage must be identified with the submission.
- Chapbooks and self-published books are not eligible.
- Submissions are welcome in any language, but submissions in a language other than English must be accompanied by a translation (the original language text must have been published in 2019)
- Titles may be submitted by a publisher, author, or other nominator
- There is a $25.00 submission fee per title, per award that may be paid by credit card or cheque upon confirmation of receipt of the submission.
- Submissions must be received by Tuesday, December 10, 2019. If a book is set to be published between December 10 and December 31, 2019, contact email@example.com by November 30, 2019 to arrange an extension.
Please note the submission process has been updated to minimize confusion and errors during the submission process! We welcome feedback on this update process – feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with any concerns or comments.
- Step one: complete this online form to indicate which books you will be submitting, and to which awards https://forms.gle/GmLW4kD2SD4D5XQz5
- Step two: await e-mail confirmation from the League office confirming a) how many copies of each title to send and b) an invoice for applicable submission fees
- Step three: send books to the League Toronto office and submit payment for submission fees online via credit card, or include a cheque with the parcel of books for consideration
Submissions will include three (3) copies of each title submitted, per award, and one (1) additional copy of each book, as well as a $25.00 submission fee per title, per award.
Longlists and shortlists for the 2020 book awards will be announced in April 2020, and the winner will be announced in May 2020.
2019 – Stevie Howell, I left nothing inside on purpose
2018– Karen Enns, Cloud Physics
2017 – Louise Bernice Halfe, Burning in This Midnight Dream
2016 – Lorna Crozier, The Wrong Cat
2015 – Patrick Lane, Washita
2014 – Anne Compton, Alongside
2013 – A.F. Moritz, The New Measures