The League of Canadian Poets is looking for poems from Canadian writers who identify as South Asian for a chapbook anthology titled AHVAZ // AAVAZ // AVAAZ: edited by Shazia Hafiz Ramji. AHVAZ // AAVAZ // AVAAZ foregrounds voices that are Brown and uncompromising. Give us your poems that challenge definitions of “South Asian” identity, that celebrate Brown joy, and that bring a strong sense of place. Give us your haraami poems, your garam garam poems, your Du’a poems, and your ocean poems. Give us your voice, your loudness, your softness, your noise, your ahvaz // aavaz // avaaz.
Non-exclusive and simultaneous submissions are welcome. Poets will receive a payment of $25 for each published poem. We encourage poets interested in this call for submissions to have or apply for membership with the League of Canadian Poets, but the call is open to all Canadian writers who identify as South Asian, including writers currently living outside of Canada.
Shazia Hafiz Ramji’s writing has appeared in Best Canadian Poetry 2019, Maisonneuve, and is forthcoming in Event and Canthius. Shazia was named as a “writer to watch” by the CBC, and her poetry and prose have been nominated for the 2020 Pushcart Prizes. She is the author of Port of Being, a finalist for the 2019 Vancouver Book Award, BC Book Prizes (Dorothy Livesay Poetry Prize), Gerald Lampert Memorial Award, and winner of the Robert Kroetsch Award for Innovative Poetry. She is a co-editor for Watch Your Head, an anthology on the climate crisis and is at work on a novel.
Submissions are open as of September 8, 2021.
Deadline to submit is October 18, 2021.
- Submissions are open to Canadian citizens and poets living and/or practicing in Canada.
- All submissions must be in DOC, DOCX or PDF format.
- Poetry submissions may consist of one to three previously unpublished (print or online) poems in any style (including prose poems).
- Length is flexible, though poems longer than 2 pages will be considered only if they are of exceptional quality. Poems longer than 4 pages cannot be considered.
- Please complete the form in its entirety. If you have trouble with the form, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- We accept simultaneous submissions. If your piece is accepted elsewhere, please notify us immediately.
- Selected poets will receive a $25 honorarium per selected poem.
Submit your poetry using the form below or click here