Very Small Verse Contest: small poems, big ideas. As the saying goes, poetry is everywhere and what easier way to fill our everyday moments with poetry than with micropoems? Micropoems are poems that are spare in size but not in impact, whose ambitions and effects are bigger than the form.
The Very Small Verse Contest invites and challenges poets to submit a poem at least six (6) words in length but no more than two hundred (200) characters.
The winner will receive $300, publication in the 2023 Poem In Your Pocket Day Booklet, as well as have their poem professionally designed and printed on a T-Shirt or tote bag.
Meet the Juror
Cameron Anstee is the author of two collections of poetry, Sheets: Typewriter Works (Invisible Publishing, 2022) and Book of Annotations (Invisible Publishing, 2018), and the editor of The Collected Poems of William Hawkins (Chaudiere Books, 2015). He is the editor and publisher of Apt. 9 Press and holds a Ph.D. in English Literature from the University of Ottawa. He lives and writes in Ottawa on the traditional unceded territory of the Algonquin Anishnaabeg people. cameronantsee.com
- Poems must be previously unpublished and at least 6 words in length to a maximum of 200 characters
- You may submit one poem per submission/submission fee.
- Fees are $2.50 for League members and $5 for non-members.
- You may submit multiple times, but please note the submission fee applies to each submission
- Eligible to Canadian poets and poets living and working in Canada