The Pat Lowther Memorial Award is given for a book of poetry by a Canadian woman, and is in memory of the late Pat Lowther, whose career was cut short by her untimely death in 1975. The award carries a $1,000 prize. It is presented each year at the LCP Annual Conference in June, with the shortlist announced in April.
SUBMISSIONS OPEN ON SEPTEMBER 5, 2017: please note this is later than usual due to an office move, and the deadline will be extended accordingly.
- The author must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- The title must have been published in 2017 and must have one author. Translators are not eligible as authors. If the book is “selected” or “collected” work, it must contain at least 50% new material, measured in pages of text. This percentage must be identified by the nominator upon submission.
- The title must be at least 48 pages in length, excluding front and back material. Chapbooks and self-published books are not eligible.
- A book may be submitted in any language. Submissions in a language other than English must be accompanied by a translation.
- The book may be submitted by publisher, author or other nominator.
- $25.00 submission fee may be paid by credit card or by cheque made out to the League of Canadian Poets.
- Submissions must be post-marked no later than November 30, 2017. If an extension is required due to the printing schedule of a book, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org by to arrange in advance.
DOWNLOAD THE 2018 BOOK AWARD SUBMISSION FORM HERE IN SEPTEMBER.
Heaven’s Thieves by Sue Sinclair (Brick Books)
2017 Sue Sinclair, Heaven’s Thieves
2016 Lorna Crozier, The Wrong Cat
2015 Sina Queyras, M x T
2014 Alexandra Oliver, Meeting the Tormentors in Safeway
2013 Rachel Rose, Song and Spectacle
2012 Sue Goyette, outskirts
2011 Evelyn Lau, Living Under Plastic
2010 Karen Solie, Pigeon
2009 Alice Major, The Office Tower Tales
2008 Anne Simpson, Quick
2007 Sina Queyras, Lemon Hound
2006 Sylvia Legis, Nerve Squall
2005 Roo Borson, Short Journey Upriver toward Oishida
2004 Betsy Struthers, Still
2003 Dionne Brand, thirsty
2002 Heather Spears, Required Reading: A Witness in Words and Drawings to the Reena Virk Trials 1998-2000
2001 Sharon Thesen, A Pair of Scissors
2000 Esta Spalding, Lost August
1999 Hilary Clark, More Light
1998 Barbara Nickel, The Gladys Elegies
1997 Marilyn Bowering, Autobiography
1996 Lorna Crozier, Everything Arrives at the Light
1995 Beth Goobie, Scars of Light
1994 Diana Brebner, The Golden Lotus
1993 Lorna Crozier, Inventing the Hawk
1992 Kate Braid, Covering Rough Ground
1991 Karen Connelly, The Small Words in My Body
1990 Patricia Young, The Mad and Beautiful Mothers
1989 Heather Spears, The Word for Sand
1988 Gwendolyn MacEwen, Afterworlds
1987 Heather Spears, How to Read Faces
1986 Erin Moure, Domestic Fuel
1985 Paulette Jiles, Celestial Navigation
1984 Bronwen Wallace, Signs of the Former Tenant
1983 Rhea Tregebov, Remembering History
1982 Rona Murray, Journey
1981 M. Travis Lane, Divinations and Short Poems 1973-1978