for a book of poetry by a woman.
The Pat Lowther Memorial Award is given for a book of poetry by a Canadian woman, and is in memory of the late Pat Lowther, whose career was cut short by her untimely death in 1975. The award carries a $2,000 prize.
Submissions for book awards are CLOSED. Submissions for books published in 2021 will open September 13, 2021.
- Gerald Lampert Memorial Award (for debut books of poetry)
- Pat Lowther Memorial Award (for books of poetry by women)
- Raymond Souster Award (for new poetry books by active League members)
Additional eligibility guidelines (for all awards):
- Authors must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents
- Submitted titles must have one author. Translators are not eligible as authors
- Titles must be at least 48 pages in length, excluding front and back material
- If a title is “selected” or “collected” work, it must contain at least 50% new material, measured in pages of text. This percentage must be identified with the submission.
- Chapbooks and self-published books are not eligible.
- Submissions are welcome in any language, but submissions in a language other than English must be accompanied by a translation (the original language text must have been published in 2020)
- Titles may be submitted by a publisher, author, or other nominator
- There is a $25.00 submission fee per title, per award that may be paid by credit card or cheque upon confirmation of receipt of the submission.
- Submissions must be received by (Date TBA). If a book is set to be published between (Date TBA) , contact email@example.com to arrange an extension.
Congratulations to the Winner of the 2021 Pat Lowther Memorial Award:
Thanks to the jurors for the 2021 Pat Lowther Memorial Award: Puneet Dutt, Doyali Islam and Cassidy McFadzean
2019: Klara du Plessis, Ekke
2018 Lesley Belleau, Indianland
2017 Sue Sinclair, Heaven’s Thieves
2016 Lorna Crozier, The Wrong Cat
2015 Sina Queyras, M x T
2014 Alexandra Oliver, Meeting the Tormentors in Safeway
2013 Rachel Rose, Song and Spectacle
2012 Sue Goyette, outskirts
2011 Evelyn Lau, Living Under Plastic
2010 Karen Solie, Pigeon
2009 Alice Major, The Office Tower Tales
2008 Anne Simpson, Quick
2007 Sina Queyras, Lemon Hound
2006 Sylvia Legis, Nerve Squall
2005 Roo Borson, Short Journey Upriver toward Oishida
2004 Betsy Struthers, Still
2003 Dionne Brand, thirsty
2002 Heather Spears, Required Reading: A Witness in Words and Drawings to the Reena Virk Trials 1998-2000
2001 Sharon Thesen, A Pair of Scissors
2000 Esta Spalding, Lost August
1999 Hilary Clark, More Light
1998 Barbara Nickel, The Gladys Elegies
1997 Marilyn Bowering, Autobiography
1996 Lorna Crozier, Everything Arrives at the Light
1995 Beth Goobie, Scars of Light
1994 Diana Brebner, The Golden Lotus
1993 Lorna Crozier, Inventing the Hawk
1992 Kate Braid, Covering Rough Ground
1991 Karen Connelly, The Small Words in My Body
1990 Patricia Young, The Mad and Beautiful Mothers
1989 Heather Spears, The Word for Sand
1988 Gwendolyn MacEwen, Afterworlds
1987 Heather Spears, How to Read Faces
1986 Erin Moure, Domestic Fuel
1985 Paulette Jiles, Celestial Navigation
1984 Bronwen Wallace, Signs of the Former Tenant
1983 Rhea Tregebov, Remembering History
1982 Rona Murray, Journey
1981 M. Travis Lane, Divinations and Short Poems 1973-1978