for a book of poetry by a League member.
The Raymond Souster Award is given for a book of poetry by a League of Canadian Poets member. The award honours Raymond Souster, an early founder of the League of Canadian Poets. The award carries a $2,000 prize.
Submissions for book awards are now open! See our Awards page for full details on submissions and eligibility.
- Gerald Lampert Memorial Award (for debut books of poetry)
- Pat Lowther Memorial Award (for books of poetry by women)
- Raymond Souster Award (for new poetry books by active League members)
Additional eligibility guidelines (for all awards):
- Authors must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents
- Titles must be published in 2020
- Submitted titles must have one author. Translators are not eligible as authors
- Titles must be at least 48 pages in length, excluding front and back material
- If a title is “selected” or “collected” work, it must contain at least 50% new material, measured in pages of text. This percentage must be identified with the submission.
- Chapbooks and self-published books are not eligible.
- Submissions are welcome in any language, but submissions in a language other than English must be accompanied by a translation (the original language text must have been published in 2020)
- Titles may be submitted by a publisher, author, or other nominator
- There is a $25.00 submission fee per title, per award that may be paid by credit card or cheque upon confirmation of receipt of the submission.
- Submissions must be received by Friday November 13, 2020. If a book is set to be published between November 13 and December 31, 2020, contact firstname.lastname@example.org by November 13, 2020 to arrange an extension.
2019 – Stevie Howell, I left nothing inside on purpose
2018– Karen Enns, Cloud Physics
2017 – Louise Bernice Halfe, Burning in This Midnight Dream
2016 – Lorna Crozier, The Wrong Cat
2015 – Patrick Lane, Washita
2014 – Anne Compton, Alongside
2013 – A.F. Moritz, The New Measures