After an incredible first year, we are excited to be opening submissions to our national broadsheet contest once again! The winner of the 2018 contest will receive ten copies of their poem as a hand-crafted, artisanal broadsheet designed and produced by Briar Craig. As well, the poem will be included in the 2018 Poem in Your Pocket booklet—distributed internationally in partnership with the Academy of American Poets—and featured on the League website. Finally, the winning poet will receive a free one-year membership with the League!
DEADLINE: December 1, 2017
Our guest judge this year will be our inaugural winner, Doyali Islam! Read her 2017 winning poem, "cat and door," here. You can also hear Doyali interviewed on the CBC here, where she talks about her inspiration for "cat and door" and more about her poetic influences! Find out what she's looking for in this year's submissions in our recent interview with her, here.
- Every poem submitted must be accompanied by an entry fee: $10 for members of the League, $15 for non-members. For information about League membership, check out poets.ca/join! If you are unsure whether you are currently a member in good standing, you can check our Member Directory or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Multiple submissions are encouraged, but must be accompanied by additional entry fees.
- Poems must be previously unpublished and under 40 lines.
- Purchase your entry fee(s) by selecting the appropriate fee above.
- Send your poem(s) as PDF or .doc attachment(s) to email@example.com. If you are submitting multiple poems, please include each poem as its own attachment. Please note that submissions are blind, and poem documents should not contain any identifying information.
- In the body of your email, please include a short bio and any important notes. If your payment will be coming from a different name than your submission, please let us know in your email!
We will confirm receipt of your submission within five business days; if you do not hear from us, feel free to follow up.
DEADLINE: December 1, 2017
ABOUT OUR JUDGE, DOYALI ISLAM
Doyali Islam’s poems have won Arc’s Poem of the Year Contest, CV2’s Young Buck Prize for writers under 35, and League of Canadian Poets’ inaugural National Broadsheet Contest. In 2017, she was a National Magazine Award finalist for poetry. Her poems can be found in The Fiddlehead and Kenyon Review Online. Interviews can be found online through The Poetry Extension, Project 40 Collective, Town Crier, IFOA, and CBC Radio’s The Sunday Edition. Doyali is the new poetry editor of Arc. She lives in Toronto. (www.doyalifarahislam.com + @doyali_is)