The Raymond Souster Award is given for a book of poetry by a League of Canadian Poets member. The award honours Raymond Souster, an early founder of the League of Canadian Poets. The award carries a $1,000 prize and it is presented each year at the LCP Annual Conference in June, with the shortlist announced in April.
SUBMISSIONS OPEN ON SEPTEMBER 5, 2017: please note this is later than usual due to an office move, and the deadline will be extended accordingly.
- The author must be a member of the League of Canadian Poets, with dues paid in full.
- The title musthave been published in 2017 and must have one author. Translators are not eligible as authors. If the book is “selected” or “collected” work, it must contain at least 50% new material, measured in pages of text. This percentage must be identified by the nominator upon submission.
- The title must be at least 48 pages in length, excluding front and back material. Chapbooks and self-published books are not eligible.
- A book may be submitted in any language. Submissions in a language other than English must be accompanied by a translation.
- The book may be submitted by publisher, author or other nominator.
- $25.00 submission fee may be paid by credit card or by cheque made out to the League of Canadian Poets.
- Submissions must be post-marked no later than November 30, 2017. If an extension is required due to the printing schedule of a book, please contact email@example.com by to arrange in advance.
- NON-MEMBERS: If you would like to apply for membership in order to be eligible for the Souster award a membership application must be submitted to League office no later than September 1. Do not submit your title for the Souster award until you have received written notification of your membership application status.
DOWNLOAD THE 2018 BOOK AWARD SUBMISSION FORM HERE IN SEPTEMBER.
Burning in This Midnight Dream by Louise Bernice Halfe (Coteau Books)