The Raymond Souster Award is given for a book of poetry by a League of Canadian Poets member (all levels) published in the preceding year. The award honours Raymond Souster, an early founder of the League of Canadian Poets. The award carries a $1,000 prize and it is presented each year at the LCP Annual Conference in June, with the shortlist announced in April.
SUBMISSIONS OPEN UNTIL NOVEMBER 1*
- Author must be a member of the League of Canadian Poets (all dues paid).
- The title must conform to the UNESCO definition of a book, and be at least 48 pages in length, excluding front and back material. Chapbooks are not eligible.
- The book must have been published in 2016. Must have one author. Translators are not eligible as authors.
The book must be published by a reputable press with an independent editorial process and publishing program. Self published books are not eligible.
- If the book is “selected” or “collected” work, it must contain at least 50% new material, measured in pages of text. This percentage must be identified by the nominator upon submission.
- A book may be submitted in any language. Submissions in a language other than English must be accompanied by a translation.
- The book may be submitted by publisher, author or other nominator.
- The submission package must contain a completed Raymond Souster Award Submission Form, four (4) copies** of the title and a $25.00 handling fee (non-refundable). A brief biography and bibliography of the author should be included as well.
- Please make cheques payable to the League of Canadian Poets. Cash payments will not be accepted.
- We regret that books cannot be returned.
* Submissions must be post-marked no later than November 1 and mailed to 312 – 192 Spadina Avenue, Toronto ON M5T 2C2. An extension until December 15 may be granted for books being released after November 1. A request for an extension must be emailed to email@example.com before November 1. No entries will be accepted after 5:00 pm on December 15.
** When submitting a title for more than one award, please include three (3) copies per award plus one (1) additional copy for League office. For example, if a title is being submitted for both Lowther and Lampert awards include seven (7) copies of the book.
NON-MEMBERS: If you would like to apply for membership in order to be eligible for the Souster award a membership application must be submitted to League office no later than September 1. Do not submit your title for the Souster award until you have received written notification of your membership application status.
2016 WINNER: The Wrong Cat by Lorna Crozier (McClelland & Stewart)
2016 – Lorna Crozier, The Wrong Cat
2015 – Patrick Lane, Washita
2014 – Anne Compton, Alongside
2013 – A.F. Moritz, The New Measures