Poetry Pause is the League’s daily poetry dispatch program, inspired by the Academy of American Poets’ poem a day. This project is intended to augment the presence of Canadian poetry and to provide an opportunity to Canadian poets – seasoned and emerging alike – to have their poetry ready by many. Poetry Pause delivers more than a poem; it delivers the chance for folks to pause for poetry – to spare a few minutes each day for words that heal, inspire, and sustain.
Excited about Poetry Pause? Subscribe to the newsletter early and look forward to your first straight-to-inbox poem delivery in November 2018! We can't wait!
- The maximum number of poems to be submitted is eight (8)
- Members of the League may submit up to eight (8) poems, and are not required to pay an entry fee
- Non-members of the League may submit up to two (2) poems at no cost
- Non-members may submit up to six (6) additional poems, with a $5 entry fee per poem
- One entry = one poem, up to 100 lines in length
- Poems may be previously published (only when copyright belongs to the author, or if the author has obtained conditional permission from the publisher)
Think you're ready to send us your poems? Great!
TO SUBMIT TO POETRY PAUSE
If necessary, purchase your entry fee by clicking on the shop listing to the left, or add it to your cart here. Members are not required to purchase an entry fee. Non-members receive two free submissions.
Prepare a submission email with the following information (mandatory information is starred):
- Entrant’s name *
- Submission title(s) *
- Copyright information, if applicable (ex. first appeared in_____) *
- Entrant’s bio (with link to personal website)
- Author photo
- Social media handles
- A paragraph “about the poem(s)”
- Indicate whether entrant would be willing to record an audio version of the poem to accompany if accepted.
Submissions will be accepted on an on-going basis; there is no firm deadline.
Attach each individual poem in a separate word document that does not include any identifying information (submissions will be judged blind).
Email your completed submission to email@example.com using the subject line “Poetry Pause Submission.”
You will receive an email confirmation regarding your submission within 5 business days.
Thank you for helping us build this exciting venture in Canadian poetry!